Friday 9 March 2012

Performance Reflection

When I first became interested in Intermedia, it was primarily due to my interest in performance art. Having done one performance in the past, for my Art 221 final project, I was excited to explore the medium further. In preparation to this performance, I had a very clear idea of the theme I wanted to convey, but no idea on how to do it. I planned to project still images onto a screen and interact with the screen in some way, but I was unsure if this would translate into a successful performance. At the last minute, I chose to incorporate charcoal, and draw my body onto the screen. Conceptually, I was able to insert my body into these spaces created around the exclusion of fat bodies.

I was uncertain about what sort of screen I would use, as I knew the weight of it would be an important factor. I ran into Jen outside of Neutral Ground over Reading Week, and she suggested stretching a canvas to use as a screen. As I don’t paint, I have never stretched a canvas and the idea hadn’t even entered my mind. With Jen’s helped, I stretched a canvas, but used an old bed sheet as opposed to actual canvas. I used a sheet because it was thinner and more translucent, which allowed for me to play with shadows. I was also happy to find that the fabric picked up the charcoal quite well, and allowed for successful use of the medium.

The images I chose to project included a beach, a lingerie store, a doctor’s office, the interior of a public bus, and interiors of two planes. Although I associate these places with spaces made unavailable to fat bodies, they are also places that generally cause people to feel uncomfortable in/about their bodies. This allows the piece to speak to the larger theme of fat oppression, while still being relatable to people who aren’t affected by fatphobia.

If I were to do this again, the biggest thing I would change is to make sure my canvas was stretched successfully and not warped. I do not feel that the warped canvas took away from my performance, but a successful rectangle would make my performance more gallery ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment