Monday 26 March 2012

DIVAS at the Owl

Divas is an annual drag show held at the Owl and is a fundraiser for UR Pride. As it is my first year in Regina, it was the first Divas show I had been to, but it was in fact the 11th Divas held on campus. From the first time I entered the UR Pride centre last September, I've heard Divas mentioned quite frequently and was excited for the event long before we started planning for it. As a board member at UR Pride, I was responsible for volunteering during Divas, but still really enjoyed the drag performances.

Some of the performances, especially Jenny Talia's, went beyond the basic concept of "performing as the opposite gender" and would make an excellent performance art piece in a different context. Kent Monkman is another artist who uses drag and gender performance in his work – his performances often involve his alter-ego Miss Chief Eagle Testicle.

No comments:

Post a Comment