Monday 26 March 2012

Diane Morin's "Capteurs d’ombre"

During reading week in February, I visited francophone artist Diane Morin’s show capteurs d’ombre at Neutral Ground. Capteurs d’ombre is a video and sound installation piece that was located in the smaller gallery at Neutral Ground. I first saw the Unplanned Architecture exhibit, and I wondered where Diane Morin's work was located within the gallery. As it was my first time at Neutral Ground, I didn't realize that there were two distinct gallery spaces, and I wasn't sure what to expect. Upon entering the part of the gallery, I was immediately overwhelmed with the amount of darkness. A black wall was situated about a metre in front of the door which created a hallway. The black walls and lack of light made it almost impossible to see and I worried about bumping into something. In this hallway, the sound was the first part of the exhibit that was experienced, and because of the dark this sense was heightened. Once past the hallway, there were three table screens throughout the dark room that appeared to be lit from beneath. They show the outline of mechanical machines that moved slightly. Diane Morin is an intermedia artist who often makes mechanical art pieces, and capteurs d’ombre was no different.


No comments:

Post a Comment