Wednesday 25 January 2012

Proposal for video assignment

For my video project, I will explore the perceptions of the fat female body through the layering and overlap of images. Drawing inspiration from female artists of the 1970s (such as Dara Birnbaum and Joan Jonas) and Jym Davis’ White Space, I plan to use video as a medium to explore my identity, body, and how these signifiers of one’s self are perceived by others.

I will be filming my torso moving and, through layering in the editing process, will create a confusing overlap that I hope will stimulate the viewer to questions their biases and preconceived notions about fat bodies. I will use the smallest television set on top of a stool to create a personal experience for the viewer. The six-inch screen requires more focus from the viewers, and creates a more even playing field where the subject of the video is no more vulnerable than the viewers. The video will be in colour, and will include sound. I plan to overlay the video with some sort of public speech - either about politicized bodies, fat acceptance, or the anti-obesity movement.

I will be showing my video, from a DVD, on the small television from the intermedia office. My expected set up time should be no more than 5-10 minutes. I will use a video camera from A/V services, my own tripod, Final Cut Pro from the intermedia editing room, a DVD player, and a television from the intermedia office. The video will be about 2-4 minutes in length.

No comments:

Post a Comment